Google

11.01.2012

Dia de Los Muertos y Sugar Skulls


Hola everyone!  As some of you may now, today is Dia de los Muertos, celebrated all over Latin America in beautiful and different ways.  It's a day to celebrate loved ones who have passed, honoring them with stories and remembrances.  One of the most iconic images of Dia de los Muertos is the traditional sugar skull (calavera) , along with catrinas (skeleton of an upper class woman, made popular by José Guadalupe Posada).  I love the imagery of the sugar skulls, and so decided to incorporate them in some nail art.




 What I used:

  • Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear in White On
  • Butter LONDON Black Knight
  • Mattese Elite Cosmic Blue polish
  • Soo Nails #170
  • Soo Nails #154
  • Fimo flowers purchased from Bed, Bath and Beyond
  • toothpicks
  • some black hex glitter (you can use a nail art pen or polish instead
  • Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen


   This isn't really a tutorial, there are so many wonderful ones out there (especially here, my friend Maryam Maquillage )!  Also it's such a flexible design, you can do almost anything you want.  Calaveras are known for having little details with bright colors and flowers (marigolds in particular

For the Calaveras:

  • Using White On, paint two coats and wait for then to dry.  I also stuck 2 pieces of glitter for the "eyes".  Next time, I'll leave this for the last step.
  • Using a toothpick, I dotted on Soo # 154, a neon orange jelly, in a half-moon
  • I then dotted petals around the eyes, using Cosmic Blue
  • Then with Soo #170, fluorescent pink , I dotted on the remaining petals and a small rectangle.
  • With my nail art pen, I drew a small upside down heart for the nose.  I drew in the teeth as well.
  • I used Black Knight on the sides to give it a more of a skull shape.
  • Top coat and then you're done!


   I went with Black knight on my pinkies, such a gorgeous color!!!  It's an inky black full of teal and pink glitter, and is good in two coats.  What I love about this color is that the glitter is always present, it never look completely black.  It does dry on the gritty side so make friends with some top coat.


   For my middle and pointer fingers, I went with an ombré finish.  I used White On as "underwear" for #154 (the neon orange jelly).  #154 took two coats and while that was drying, I painted my pointer finger with #170.  Then I sponged the pink onto my middle finger.  I sponged on the orange on my pointer, but it was completely dry.  It looked a little funky so I covered my mistake with some Fimo flowers I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  I feel like the blue flower ties it all together, no? 


I decided to accessorize with some stackable enamel rings.  I'm obsessed with above the knuckle rings at the moment.  And upon reviewing my photos, I probably should have used some lotion.  Macro is a cruel beast, y'all.

How's your day going so far?

Let's get social!

6 comments :

  1. This is such a cute manicure! And macro is a beast - it's why I rarely do NOTD posts, I'd need some major photoshop skillz to show my whole hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The worst part is when you realize how crazy your hands look AFTER you take pictures :(

      Delete
  2. This is so creative!! I love it! I don't think I could do all the intricate design that you did, you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosy! Check out some of the great tutorials out there!

      Delete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!