Google

5.28.2012

May Birchbox

Happy Memorial Day to all my U.S followers!  Hopefully you're all enjoying your day!  


   I know that May is almost over but better late than never, no?  At the moment, I'm only subscribed to Birchbox.  However I did receive an Influenster Vox Box (post coming up).  I've heard way too many underwhelming experiences concerning MyGlam's GlamBag.  And I'm on the fence about joining Glossy Box, I want to see how the next few boxes look like.  So far, this is my second Birchbox and I've been pleased so far.


   This month's theme was Gossip Girl, which not a show I'm familiar with.  It never really called my attention ::shrugs::  However one of my friend's is a tour guide for the Gossip Girl tour, so she may know the answers to these questions.


It came nicely wrapped in tissue paper.


   It came with a sample of Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée Petite Cologne Absolue (what a mouthful!). I haven't used it yet becuase I like saving these samples when I go on trips.  They're small, can travel in my carry on and I don't have to worry about the 3oz rule.


   Here is the rest of the box: Twistband hair tie, Color Club mini in Disco Nap, fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 and Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+.  Can I just say I started laughing when I saw the hair tie?  There is no way that little band is going to hold my thick hair... I use it when I braid my hair, it works well for that.


   Here we have Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+ (the name!), this sample is teeny tiny.  I've been curious to learn more about BB creams so I was fine with this sample.  


   On the left of the dollop of BB cream, you can kind of see where I blended it in.  It actually matched my skin tone perfectly.  It felt alright on my face but I really couldn't differentiate between this and a tinted moisturizer. So far I prefer Smashbox's version of a BB cream.


   I am always on the quest for a perfect lip balm so this was up my alley.  You have to twist, then pull the cap off.  This is great because it means the top can come off by itself.  Trust me, it's not fun cleaning lip balm off everything in your bag...


It has a decent amount of product, I haven't twisted it all the way up.


  It leaves a slightly flushed tint with a little bit of shine.  I like how it  looks on it's own. It's perfect for days when I only want to wear mascara and lip balm (NYC humidity, I'm looking at you!).  I also like wearing it under drying lipsticks.  What I don't like is the price tag.  $22.50 for a lip balm? Really?!

   All in all, I feel like I got my $10 worth.  I can't say that I will purchase any of these in full-size, but I like that these (with the exception of Color Club) are companies I've never used before.  And that's really what these box subscriptions are about, no?  And no, I didn't forget about the Color Club polish, that's for another post...

Are any of you subscribed to any beauty boxes?

8 comments :

  1. I really hate those hair ties!! We got completely different products :)


    I just reviewed mine not long ago

    http://dianaluv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that not many people got the same box I did.

      Delete
  2. I used to have a subscription to Lust Have it, which I think has now merged with Glossy Box here in Australia. I ended up cancelling it though, because even though my last box was great it just ended up being too hit and miss! The box is usually a value that is higher than what you pay for subscription, but in between the products you won't use or just don't suit you it didn't seem worth it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I definitely think it's a gamble. So far, Birch Box has been good to me, I hope it stays that way! ::fingers crossed::

      Delete
  3. I haven't posted my May Birchbox yet. I'm too lazy.. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept meaing to post the April one and then the May box showed up!

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great mix, I'd be really happy with this too (aside from the hair tie.. What is that!?)
    I've resisted the beauty box thing so far, it's too much of a gamble for me, I'd rather spend the money on something I know I want to try/will use :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pretty happy so far. Yeah, I don't get the hair tie, but it's great for when I braid my hair. The beauty boxes are a definitely a gamble but $10 seems reasonable enough. Plus it gives me fodder for my blog, lol.

      Delete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!