Google

5.30.2012

Champagne, Caviar and a Disco Nap


   Sounds decadent, doesn't it?  As I had mentioned in my previous post I had purchased some micro beads for fish egg (caviar) manicures.  I had seen this technique on various blogs( including Pushing Polish's version- seriously check it out!), so I decided to recreate it for myself.  I decided that my first caviar attempt would be with the Color Club mini I received in my May Birch Box, Disco Nap.  Disco Nap is a lovely cool-toned gold that goes on perfectly in 2 coats.  I have nothing but praise for this polish, however I already have my perfect gold color. So I probably won't be buying the full-size version of this.


   I have purchased a rather large container of Recollections micro beads in a shade called Champagne.  It matched the color of Disco Nap perfectly! Sometimes things just fall into place...  I started by painting my nails with Disco Nap, leaving my ring and thumb fingers for last.   Then I opened my box of micro beads and I  noticed that there was a way to dip my finger in the container.  I painted my ring finger with Disco Nail and while it was still wet, I dipped it into the container for the micro beads to stick on.  I then tapped the excess back into the box.  It's a lot easier to do each finger individually. 


   I'm a big fan of accent nails so I think this type of nail art is the way to go! When I was done with all 4 fingers, I applied a layer of Seche Vite over the bead, to act as a sealer.  However, just know it will be impossible to make this perfectly smooth.  I had experimented with this type of manicure without a top coat, just to see what difference it makes.  It looked just as pretty as this one but the beads were constantly falling off! I know that this type of nail art is not meant to last more than 1-2 days tops, but I lost half the beads within HOURS!!! So yes, I highly recommend using a top coat over this look.  Not only did it help my manicure last, it also delayed fading of the micro beads.  


   I've included a close-up of my ring finger.  Sorry that this was pre-cleanup, I got too excited!  I loved how this looked, and my coworkers were OBSESSED...  I think this is great to do for a special occasion. I bought a whole slew of colors so get ready to be bombarded with caviar!

What do you think of the fish egg/caviar trend?  Is it something you'd try?

29 comments :

  1. you did a lovely job, and you're right! that gold polish looks like a fabulous formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was looking online, it seems like it was a Birch Box exclusive. And by exclusive, I mean they renamed a polish from the Foiled collection ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow thanks for the link back! I am happy to inspire :)
    This looks great, the gold is so pretty! And I thought topcoat would show over the beads which is why I didn't use it, but it seems to look fine so I will be trying that out next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how that goes. I tried it without using topcoat and I was embarrassed to take pics. It looked like a hot mess...

      Delete
    2. Oh I thought you DID use a topcoat! It doesn't matter though, for me this kind of mani isn't suppose to last for more than a day lol!

      Delete
    3. For this one, I did, I went with Seche Vite. I had done another one when I went to The Makeup Show, without top coat. It was sad how it fell apart, lol.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. thank you, it made me feel all fancy ;-)

      Delete
  4. That looks awesome! Thanks for the tip! I've always wondered the longevity of the beads. I might try this out when I get some micro beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, I'd love to see people's takes on this trend!

      Delete
  5. love it but yes, i prefer it on one accent nail, too!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? I think when it's all 10 fingers, you almost don't notice it.

      Delete
  6. I really like your golden version!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigada, minha amiga! The caviar reminded me of youuuu!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a huge fan of the fish egg look. I only like it on an accent nail like how you did yours. I always wonder is it hard to get off, or do they just pop right off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes off easily enough (I use acetone). However you want to be careful with the beads falling off the cotton and getting everywhere.

      Delete
  8. Love this look! Definitely best as an accent nail. I love seeing the gold beads on a gold polish- looks great! Can't wait to see more caviar manicures from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will definitely do more. I'm a big fan of easy nail art.

      Delete
  9. Lovely! I think it's definitely best as an accent nail. It's too much when all the nails are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also it makes things harder at work, I have to open a lot of boxes. Not exactly work-friendly, lol.

      Delete
  10. This is so pretty and definitely amazing; I love that gold! I will need to try this because I think it looks FAB!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let me know if you do! The gold is supposedly a BirchBox exclusive, but I think they just renamed the gold from the Foiled collection, haha.

      Delete
  11. Hi, good post! The gold particularly lovely. Which is your perfect gold that you mentioned in this post? Also, do you know if there's a cheaper dupe around for Disco Nap? Looks lovely though, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!