Google

4.05.2012

Opposites Attract

earring inspiration
   Unless you are loving under a rock, chances are, you know that orange is THE color to rock this year.  This is fine by me, I've never found a bright color I didn't like.  I purchased these earrings, which partly inspired this post.  Lately I've been obsessed with bright colored lipstick (partially due to laziness) and went out and purchased MAC Morange.  Lucky coincidence, no?  However, I wanted to sore some of the other ways you can use the orange lip trend.

   I used to study art back in high school, so one of the first lessons I learned was color theory.  In case you didn't know, orange and blue are opposites on the color wheel and are thus complimentary.  Sometimes they can look garish together (i.e. the Mets uniform... Yankee supporter over here) or they bring out the best in each other.  Hopefully you'll think the looks below are the latter...

I decided to start off with something easy to pull together.  I shaded the outer half of my eye with Nyx jumbo eye pencil in French Fry and then the inner eye with Cottage Cheese. I applied Taylor Made Minerals in Nude (a slightly shimmery satin beige) in the middle of my eye so it looked blended together.  With a pointed cotton swab, I applied Mattese Elite pigment in Navy (a  glimmery midnight blue with silver sparkles) lining my lower eyelid and waterline.  I then applied Cover Girl Lash Blast mascara in blue black on my upper and lower lashes. 
On my lips I applied Cover Girl Lip Slicks in Tangerine.  Don't worry, this color looks rather bright and bold in the tube but goes on sheer. It adds the slightest bit of color and has gold sparkle.  I'm not the biggest fan of the formula, I found it a little greasy but it's not the worst lipgloss I've come across. 
the finished product

Next I decided to go a little brighter.  I applied Navy (wet), lining the upper eyelid.  This added a pop of color that complimented my eyes.  I applied L'Oreal H.I.P. Shine Struck, Liquid Lipcolor in Precarious, a warm, slightly coral orange with gold shimmer.  The Shine Struck line has quite a few colors that I like, Precarious being one of them.  It goes on significantly more opaque than Tangerine.  The formula is nice and it lasts a while on your lips.  I believe it is part of L'Oreal's permanent collection.


The last look I'm going to show is definitely more dramatic, better suited for nighttime.  I applied MAC Morange on my lips, and loved it.  It is creamy neon perfection!  What you see in the picture is only one swipe on each lip... I would recommend using a lip liner to avoid bleeding and don't be surprised if it strains your lips.  Still using Navy, I brushed it onto the creases of my eyes, blending it out to make it look a little smoky.
MAC Morange




For all three looks, I used Bare Minerals matte foundation in Golden Beige.  I contoured my cheekbones using warmth (I can pretend my cheekbones really look this way!) I then used Urban Decay bronze in Gilded on the apples of my cheeks.  Here's a hint: save your face for last when using pigments on your eyes.  No matter how careful you are, I guarantee there WILL be fallout. 

Today I decided to go with the second look, pairing it off with an aqua shirt, which set off the whole combination nicely.  As you can see, navy and orange can play nicely with each other, so have fun experimenting!  What do you think of the orange trend in makeup?
On another note, I've purchased my ticket for the IMATS next week.  Anyone else going?  Also what kind of posts do you enjoy seeing here?

Products used:
pointed cotton swab

Navy used dry on the left and wet on the right.

Mattese Elite NAvy

L'Oreal HIP Shine Struck Liquid Lipcolor in Precarious

CoverGirl WetSlicks Fruit Spritzers in Tangerine Splash

MAC Morange

6 comments :

  1. Blue liner is absolute fav!! <3

    -Imani Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It comes in handy when I've partied too hard, making my eyes look brighter.

      Delete
  2. Oh i love orange too! and with white skin it's perfect lipstick!
    love your makeup tips!

    follow u :)! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I like orange because it's bright but fun, sometimes red can look too "serious" or "done", y'know?

      Delete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!