Google

4.07.2012

Face of the Day: Urban Decay Loose Pigment in X


   I was going through some of my makeup (key word :SOME, I need to consider getting a new case) and I came across some makeup I hadn't even used yet.  Awhile ago I had purchased some loose pigments from Urban Decay's sale section.  I bought quite a few of them since they were being discontinued.  That and they were only $1.  I closed my eyes and picked one out of a bag, determined to use it.  I picked out X, which is a  peachy shimmer with pink highlights. I decided to use a creamy type of base, and started applying X all over my lid.

   Then I let my brush and applied X over the center of my lid, bringing out more of that pinkish color.  I had also purchased an 88 matte palette from Crown Brushes, also through Hautelook.  I get the feeling this is the same type of palette that can be purchased from Coastal Scents.  For the crease color, I went with a light pink shade.  I wanted to keep this looking light and fresh, like a peach (haha) so I used a nude eyeliner (NYX slim eye pencil in Velvet) on my waterline and mascara.



   I used Bare Minerals matte in Golden Fair all over my face, followed by Bare Minerals Warmth under my cheekbones. Honestly I was feeling a bit lazy, so instead of looking for blush, I used Urban Decay bronzer in Gilded, which has a pretty golden shimmer. on the apples of my cheeks.

   On my lips, I used CoverGirl WetSlicks in Tangerine Splash.  I sadly found out that this particular color has been discontinued.  All in all, this took me all of 10 minutes to do.


    And now, the reason I don't do nail art...  I don't have the patience.  I love and appreciate it on other people's hands though.  I grabbed all the colors seen above, mainly Essies and Mattese.  I under Sally Hansen Xtreme as a base coat for the pastels. I was playing with the idea of dotting the polish and then putting white crackle over it.  Then I decided to get fancy with it.  I dotted and then swirls with a toothpick.  The effect can be seen below*.  
I don't think it was too bad for my first try.    I especially liked how the bright pink looks next to the mint green.  BUT then I had a brainstorm: why not try water marbling???  I grabbed a shot glass and got to marbling...

   Guys, this stuff is not easy!  Also, I'm a genius and didn't tape my skin so my fingers were covered in polish.  The worst part is that the swirls adorning my skin were prettier than what made it onto my nails.  I definitely need to practice this technique.  I may just cover it up with crackle so that it's not obvious I'm walking around with two types of marbled hands...  Have you tried water marbling? Any tips?

* I want to apologize for the crappy pics of my hands today... My camera refused to cooperate with me, I swear I must've taken 50 shots and these were the best two.  

25 comments :

  1. Never tried water marbling but would love too! Yours still look really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should give it a try. Even if it doesn't come out the way you expect, it's fun to do!

      Delete
    2. love the idea of marbling. i'd just seen it somewhere on a blog and love the way it looks. perfect for easter. you should do it again on video so I can watch how it's done. :)

      also, i cant find the regular comment button, only replies to what you write

      Delete
    3. I love how marbling looks,I don't know that I can concentrate on marbling and taping it at the same time, lol.

      Delete
  2. wow love the marbled nail varnish! looks so cool! x

    http://she-shops-alot.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun attempting to do it. I definitely want to keep practicing. x

      Delete
  3. havent really tried watermarbling yet - have everything prepared for it though lol.

    and that eyeshadow is really nice! wish i could handle lose pigments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I prefer using pigments, I feel that i can control them better. Have you tried using a base/primer? It makes using pigments easier.

      Delete
  4. Love the eyeshadow, such a gorgeous colour. I've tried water marbeling and I could not get the hang of it. Your's look amazing, very pretty xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I usually don't go the soft pink route but wanted to try something out my comfort zone. xx

      Delete
  5. Your water marble turned out real cool, and I really like your makeup pictures. Especially when you smile. You have such a beautiful smile - it makes me feel real good whenever I see it!

    Hey, I have nominated you for Versatile Blogger award on my nail polish blog: http://superficiallycolorful.blogspot.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the award, JinJit, you're making me blush!

      Delete
  6. The worst part is that the swirls adorning my skin were prettier than what made it onto my nails.

    I've done water marbling once and that's exactly what happened. But either way yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm going to keep on practicing it. Getting all that polish off my fingertips was not fun... I will definitely remember to use tape.

      Delete
  7. I like this water marbling manicure, I have never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! There are loads of videos out there, there is even one on China Glaze's site.

      Delete
  8. Your eye makeup looks so pretty on you! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm way too intimidated by water marbling to try it- not yet, anyways. I applaud you for taking the plunge! Some of the bloggers who have extraordinarily perfect water marbling must have practiced for ages to get their technique that flawless. And I think this looks pretty darn good, too! Love the colours you chose; they're perfect for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm def going to keep trying it.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous eye shadow and I love your water marbling! I tried it recently but I couldn't get the polish to spread in the water! It kept sinking to the bottom!!! WHYYY???!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same issue. You can't drop the polish into the cup/shot glass. You have to "paint" the surface, if that makes sense?

      Delete
  11. You have to figure out some way to make a tutorial on these nails!!
    xx
    -Imani Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even if you don't think it looks that great, I still like it a lot. I've been wanting to try this but just I haven't had the time. I think I will soon though.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!