Google

3.05.2012

NOTD: Sinful Mint Apple and Love & Beauty in Light Green (Forever21)

 First of all, can we talk polish names???  How does one get a job naming polishes?  Because there have been some that leave me scratching my head (OPI, I'm looking at you!) What exactly is a Mint Apple?  That picture on the left is what a Mint Apple is according to Google...  I'm sorry, Mint Apple doesn't sound super yummy to me, but it is a pretty nail color.  I neglected to take pics of Mint Apple solo, sorry!  Rest assured, it is a very pretty, minty green with subtle silvery shimmer to it.  It applies like a dream, and is completely opaque in two thin coats.  Which is pretty rare, when it comes to light green polishes.  I think this one is ok because it doesn't seem to have a lot of white pigment in it.  Most "mint"colors contain white, as a result, you get chalky looking pastels.  I do think it has a lovely, vintage feel to it, I love pairing it with a certain yellow floral dress I have.  

trying to show off how the flakies are orange.
  I need to stop being tempted by the nail polishes at Forever 21, they only break my heart.  I find a color that I really like and then 2 minutes later, it's discontinued and replaced by another color with the SAME NAME!!!  All of their polishes are rather generic sounding, this one is called "Light Green."  The only color on their site that is slightly similar to this one is "Glitter Lime" However "Glitter Lime" only has greenish flakies that flash slightly orange, in "Light Green" the flakies are definitely orange.  However if you're into it, get it before its gone.



   I've had "Light Green" for about a year?  I've been meaning to wear it but never got around to it.  It is super sheer, not worth trying to get opaque.  It contains and light yellow flakes as well as subtle teal, light blue shimmer particles (they're not exactly glitter).  By applying it over Mint Candy, it did change the color of it, turning it from a slightly dusty, cool-toned green to a springy, warmer green.  I've taken photos in both warm and cool lighting conditions so you can see the difference.
  I did 2 coats of "Light Green" for maximum flake-age.  Although one coat would be fine, just not as glittery as I wanted it.  It applies pretty easily, I didn't have to fish out flaky particles, and it dried very smooth. Although I don't think that translated onto my pics.  Even looking at my hands right now, they look textured.  They actually remind of those glittery Easter eggs kits that you can buy at grocery store and make yourself.

My thoughts: I do like how this turned out, I'll definitely be using this polish more often.  Maybe next time I'll try it over black?  I did experience tip shrinkage but I think it's due to using Seche Vite instead of Poshé.


9 comments :

  1. Yeah, the literal Mint Apple picture isn't so appetizing. Your polish, on the other hand, looks great! I like how the orange flakey contrasts with the green base.

    Also: what glittery easter egg kits do you speak of? I've never seen this before. Are you telling me I could have been making glittery eggs instead of the just dyeing them? I feel like I've missed out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was a bit apphrehensive at the combo of green and orange. Here is the link to the easter egg kits :http://www.paaseastereggs.com/products.htm scroll all the way to the bottom to see the glittery ones. I've never tried them though.

      Delete
    2. I had no idea there were so many kinds of easter egg decorating kits! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I simply love that polish color, currently I am obsessing over glitter polishes and as soon as I came across your blog i just fell in love and had to comment...and I am now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I have an addiction to glitter as you can see, haha.

      Delete
  3. Forever 21 has the BEST names for their polish. One day I want to have a line with colours like "Sky Blue", "Blue", "Dark blue" "Even darker Blue" and "That blue that's in between blue and dark blue, but it's not navy, it's a lighter blue... you know, that blue blue".

    Anyways whatever the name might be that's a pretty colour. I'm finally starting to like flakies. Still don't live them but I do like unique ones like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on their site yesterday, they have at least two polishes with the word avocado in the name. I'm surprised one wasn't called "Hass Avocado" or "Semi-ripe Avocado". I like flakies partially because they are much easier to remove than glitter. They don't make me feel like I sanded my nails off. Plus they're pretty :)

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty colour!
    I'm a new follower :)
    check out my blog and maybe leave feedback or follow?

    http://phatfashionandbeauty.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!