Google

3.25.2012

Cachaça Dona Beja- Mel com Limão (Honey with Lime)

  First of all, let's start off with "what is Cachaça?"  Since Wikipedia may probably better explain it than me (Cachaça=good times is my explanation), here is their definition: "Cachaça (Portuguese pronunciation: [kaˈʃasɐ]) is a liquor made from fermented sugarcane juice. the word originates from the tamil word kachanasarayam, which means distilled moonshine. early portuguese traders travelled to malacca in south east asia, where the congregation of tamils there came about usage of this word.It is the most popular distilled alcoholic beverage in Brazil. It is also known as aguardentepingacaninha and many other names. 

    I know when most people think sugarcane spirits, they automatically assume rum.  However cachaça is NOT a rum, despite it being found in the "Rum"section of liquor stores.  Rums are typically made from molasses, which is a by-product of sugarcane, and is usually distilled at a higher temperature.  Whereas rums or rhums can be produced anywhere in the world, cachaças must be produced in Brazil.  Sorry to get all nerdy, I can't help it!  Also being married to a Brazilian, I have tried a fair amount of cachaça.  Ironically enough, he doesn't like it.
   I was lucky enough to try Cachaça Dona Beja while I was down in Florida. We were having churrasco (Brazilian barbecue) and trust me, there is nothing better than icy cold beer accompanied by cachaça! My husband's friend brought this bottle out from the freezer, and offered me some.  I decided to try it straight to get the real flavor of it and then maybe make a caipirinha with it.  Well, that caipirinha never happened...  This baby was smooth enough to be sipped straight.  It's infused with honey and limes, but doesn't have a syrupy aftertaste.  Some cachaças can burn (usually industrial ones), however this one didn't.  The honey flavor hits you at first and than the tanginess of the lime.  Aside from being enjoyed neat, I can see this being used in hot toddies or a twist on a margarita.  
   As for availability, I'm sorry to say this doesn't seem to be offered out of Brazil.  It's produced in Minas Gerais state, and the website is not offering a list of retailers.  If you're reading this and live in Brazil, I highly recommend it.  

4 comments :

  1. Wowza. Would love to try this- I have a feeling I won't find it in my local liquor store, though. Ah well, if I ever go to Brazil, it'll be on my list of things to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get the feeling my husband's friend smuggled it in, haha.

      Delete
  2. When I read the title of your blog you had me.. it's like you had me at hello!hahahah As for cachaca... yummmmm! When I went to brazil we bought a $2 bottle of it, some limes and sugar and got the brazilians in our hostel to make us Caparinha's all night... soo yummy, but really deadly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, i figured I'd write about what I know. I'm also a huge cachaça fan as well, I always have ingredients for caipirinhas on hand. Strawberry caipis are sooo yummy!

      Delete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!