Google

2.28.2012

Are These Gay Condoms?

This is what a gay condom looks like, according to google.
   I kid you not, a customer asked if a certain type of condom was for gay people.  I was hoping that perhaps something had gotten lost in translation.  I kindly let her know that condoms are for everyone, that there was no such thing as a "gay " or "straight" condom.

Gay lube
   Then she grabbed some flavored lube and she was told that flavored lube should only be used for oral sex due to the sweeteners.  Again she asked, "But for a gay guy, is this fine then?"  We recommended that she selected a different lubricant.  My coworker decided to use this as a teachable moment and let her know that condoms and lube are for everyone, "everyone wants to be protected."  The customer responded by asking if the condoms were extra strong because she was buying them for a gay person.

   At this point, we deduced that she wasn't trying to be rude, most likely cultural attitudes were at play..  Someone had probably told her that gay men needed stronger condoms (probably due to AIDS).  It's crazy how marketing and cultural attitudes can creates myths like this.  Everyone needs to protect themselves, it's not an orientation thing*.

   So to reiterate, there are NO such thing as "gay" lube or "straight" condoms...  And yes, I totally mentally face-palmed myself several times during this conversation.  I'm no saint.

* Last time I checked, everyone was at risk for the same STI's.  They are equal opportunity and do not differentiate.

12 comments :

  1. Yep, that's a big face-palm right there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea... my head was hurting after that, hahaha

      Delete
  2. i found u on beautylish & im following (: it would mean the world if u checked out my blog as well <3 Have an awsome day <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure, I'd love to check out your blog! can you send me the link? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Haha this made me laugh! Nice blog :-)

    http://veelicious-ness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! unbelievable. that's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to see it as someone who just didn't know better? Hopefully she left the store with a better understanding...

      Delete
  5. What? Oh humans sometimes.

    BTW I love your blog. You have combined all the things I love and put them in one happy blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. Its a shame that some people are so uneducated! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, you can't do anything except laugh. I hope she left with more info than she came in with.

      Delete

Feel free to comment below, I'll try my best to get back to you!